Thursday, August 23, 2012

>> Macabre, art?


As I search for artists to add to my collection, sometimes I wonder what the line between amazing creatures and gruesome monsters lies? Is there a line dividing ghastly images and art?
And although i don't have a particular incline for grisly images, I personally seem unaffected by what others might find horrifying. I enjoy the originality and the meaning some paintings might portray. Could just that be the line between?

Is a macabre image acceptable, if there is a reasonable meaning behind it? While if a dark portray, has no meaning or just a sexual or violent one, then be distasteful? And if one thinks, that dark art is only acceptable when it has a reasonable meaning, then is only art with a substantial meaning, art?

Sorry for this complex, philosophical post. But I am very eager to know what fellow art enthusiast think about this subject.






Macabre Definition: Disturbing and horrifying because of involvement with or depiction of death and injury: "a macabre series of murders"

No comments:

Post a Comment